Blog Archive

Thursday 6 March 2014

Of Ships, Seas, and Storms

Like a... Dish. 


One of my favourite stories in the Book of Mormon is in the first few chapters of Ether. In this story there is a man known as the Brother of Jared. The Brother of Jared and his family were commanded by God to travel across the ocean. He was instructed by the Lord on how he should build boats to travel across the ocean. 

These boats were supposed to be air-tight, like a dish. The sides of the boat were tight, and so was the roof, so that it was like a barge. These barges were completely air-tight so they were submersible. They had plugs in the top so they could get air when they needed it. The only problem was that when they were inside and the holes were stopped there was no light! 



Mountains to Climb


The Brother of Jared came up with an idea. After prayer and study he created some small glass stones. He carried these stones to the top of a mountain where he prayed and asked God to touch them with his finger. When God touched the stones they lit up, so they would provide the Barges with light. Two were placed in each barge at either end. 

Furious wind and Monsters of the Sea


They all climbed into their brand-new barges and, without rudders or sails, cast off into the ocean. When they had cast of there was a fierce wind that was brought up to push them towards the promised land. Their journey wasn't easy, but because they were tight, water couldn't get in. The scriptures say that the mountain waves would drag them to the depths of the sea, and no monster or whale could break the barges during their journey, and after nearly a year, they landed safely in the promised land. 

How to be Tight


I want light in my life. I want to be strong. I want to be able to be brought to my lowest and hit by monsters and bounce back without a leak. So I need to ask myself, how do I become tight like a dish, at least spiritually? 
For me, I feel at my strongest when my relationships with my family, friends, and Heavenly Father are strong. In order to receive the light he needed the Brother of Jared climbed a mountain. Climbing a mountain isn't easy, but it comes by taking one step at a time.

There is a quote from the Hobbit movie that I absolutely love:


'Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love.' -Gandalf

It is our day to day actions that make the biggest impact on our safety and our relationships. If you want strength and light, then make sure you are holding to the things you know you need to do daily! Read from the scriptures, and pray to Father for help. It will make all the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment